According to scientists, This is the most relaxing tune ever recorded.

Filled under:

A British band "Marconi Union" has worked with sound therapists to create a tune described by scientists as the "most relaxing song ever". Sound therapists were able to rate ten of the most relaxing songs, with Marconi Union's 8 minute trance-inducing tune, "Weightless", coming out on top thanks to its continuous rhythm of 60 BPM, an ideal tempo for synchronization with the heart and brainwaves, making it an ideal audio accompaniment for a good night's rest.
Image source
Lyz Cooper, founder of the British Academy for Sound Therapy, worked with the band to create the song said:
“The song makes use of many musical principles that have been shown to individually have a calming effect. The harmonic intervals — or gaps between notes — have been chosen to create a feeling of euphoria and comfort. And there is no repeating melody, which allows your brain to completely switch off because you are no longer trying to predict what is coming next.”
Listen to this track here and add your response in comment below:


Scientists played the song to 40 women and found it to be more effective at helping them relax than songs by Enya, Mozart and Coldplay. The study - commissioned by bubble bath and shower gel firm Radox Spa - found the song was even more relaxing than a massage, walk or cup of tea.

The women were connected to sensors and given challenging puzzles to complete against the clock in order to induce a level of stress. They were then played different songs as their heart rate, blood pressure, breathing and brain activity were recorded.

Studies found Weightless was 11 per cent more relaxing than any other song and even made many of the women "drowsy" in the lab.It induced a 65 per cent reduction in overall anxiety and brought them to a level 35 per cent lower than their usual resting rates.

The song features guitar, piano and electronic samples of natural soundscapes.
[source: Telegraph.co.uk]

27 comments:

  1. Not relaxing at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found parts of it calming, other parts made me a little anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just noise, gave me a headache

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer harp music to relax me. Found this rather calming except,for the part which sounded like a phone ringing.. that snapped me back. Over all it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it annoying!!! The constant background stream of music was most annoying. Didn't care for it; sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beginning made me quite anxious and I wanted t turn it off. The middle was a little calming after the start but not relaxing by far. Then it just got down right boring... definitely not the most relaxing sound I've heard... Makes me wonder who the scientist tested to get that resulting outcome?

    ReplyDelete
  7. when i stopped expecting to hear a tune - it became relaxing. Tammie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. would be nice along with a massage, the photo of the blue lady relaxing at the top of the article along with the music is very, suggestive of deep relaxing. i hope there is no subliminal buy this or vote for this person hidden underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. It is really nice music. But you guys should check out ambient music in general. You know... artists like Brian Eno, and Stars of the Lid. Essie Jain. People who have been making music relaxing for a while now. :-) Coldplay is great, but the fact they are listed in comparison with ambient music is a bit silly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to ambient music.

    https://soundcloud.com/secret-piano/sets/go-on-sleep

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought it was a bit boring and from a purely relaxation perspective I found Pink Floyd's Echoes to be more efficient.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if it's a placebo effect or what (does a placebo effect still work if you are expecting it?) but I think it's magically relaxing me. Seriously, I'm so relaxed I can feel my face going numb...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enya's music is better

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iron Maiden is better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most songs by "Explosions In The Sky" and "Sigur Ros" do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really interesting. Found it was okay to listen to...it made me a little unsettled when the heartbeat sound in the beginning was in time with my body's pulse. I could feel my heart, eyelids and various other points on my body kind of beating in time with the sound in the song, and it was very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Feel Good And Relax....
    It Make My Heart Beat Slow..
    I Love It!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. every one finds comfort and pleasure in the playlist in he/she's got in an ipod. wat kind of test did these "scientists" perform to say it's the most relaxing song ever.i just listened to the track and personally i dont find it soothing.i play skin to bones by LP and feel 100% more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. it's not a question of whether you like it or not, it's more a question of how physically relaxing it is. while i personally don't like it as a piece of music, i did find my body started to relax and i started to zone out, so i think it works.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annoying whitenoise.... hate this.... would rather listen to sounds of nature... like a waterfall or rainfall.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ... sorry this is a "loser" - unfortunately the production is wayyyyy over compressed making it annoyingly shrill, the reason for your headache. I had to keep turning the volume down to little effect, it just kept getting louder. It is the same technique that has made many big selling rock albums unlistenable. Rush, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, had to remix due to the public's rejection of over-compression in order to make their CD "the loudest." The pulse beat would be relaxing except for the screeching, I couldn't make it to the end.
    I recommend early Porcupine Tree, Moody Blues, or how about www.cdbaby.com/pagasys the album is "Shadows at Twilight"

    ReplyDelete
  22. The constant beat at the beginning made me feel more anxious, but blended more to the middle with the other sounds not really relaxing though!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed listening to this and found that it helped to make me feel more calm and relaxed. I have listened to similar types of meditation music similar to this before. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. not Every person in the world have
    the same taste and interrest in
    things, personally i dont find this
    tune relaxing :-P

    ReplyDelete
  25. It makes me feel sad/unnerved and for some reason I don't understand I'm crying..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Suitable for funeral processionn,watching Mylie Cyrus Lady Gaga n Madonna singing and dancing nude are more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete